BORSCH WITH VEGAN BISCUITS
The borsch recipe is from the cookbook “Vegan on a Shoestring” by the People’s Potato Collective (http://www.peoplespotato.com).
Chunky Vegetable Borsch
-3-4 large beets, peeled and cut in small cubes
-2 medium potatoes, washed and cut in small cubes
-2 large carrots, diced
-2 celery stalks, diced
-1 large onion, diced
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-1 cup cabbage, shredded
-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
-6 cups vegetable stock
-2 bay leaves
-2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
-1 small drop liquid smoke (optional)
-2 tablespoons dill- I use a little more because I’m a dill fanatic
-1 tablespoon raw sugar
-lemon juice to taste
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
2. Add all vegetables.
3. Add stock, bay leaves and vinager (and liquid smoke if using). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour and 30 mins.
4. Once beets and potatoes have started to soften, add salt, pepper, lemon, and sugar if needed. Add dill just before serving.
Simple Vegan Biscuits
-2 cups flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon sugar
-1/4 cup vegan margarine
-1 cup non-dairy milk
-1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Cut in margarine with a fork or your fingertips- do not fully incorporate into dough.
4. Add wet ingredients until you get a soft dough. Add more non dairy milk if needed.
5. Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper- 1 inch apart.
6. Bake until golden brown- about 12-15 mins.